Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sunday Afternoon



It was great to spend the whole day at the Met before they kicked us out.






We went through the wonderful rooms (our favorite, the Wisteria room was so dark it was close to impossible to get any reference shots)
I loved this poof that was worn out by people looking at this painting.

You know I love Reliquaries and Cabinets


And the many oddities - A wonderful grotto scene, a paper masterpiece, strange furniture
And I simply MUST find these light bulbs!
We first saw them in Frankfurt many years ago. They have a electro magnet in them to make the actual lamp "jiggle" every once and a while, making the bulb feel like a flame that has an occasional flicker.
Please - someone help me find them!
The new American Wing is truly wonderful:


Wax Fruit and What a banquet table SHOULD look like:


We sondered through the small Egyptian collection (only 36,000 pieces, thank you very much)
For friends with initials of C and D


And yes, one of those photos does not belong in the MET, but at Surplus Tools on Alameda in Denver. Which one is it?
Of course, We LOVE open storage!


After an exhausting feast of art and design, we found a wonderful restaurant Cafe Linda and had some hot pasta to warm up with. What a day.
And this is day #1!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Lonnie, thank you. You've saved my day! We overbooked ourselves so heavily on this NY trip that we didn't make the Met...AGAIN! I am still devastated (though I would not have given up our wonderful social time with so many lovely people). So I am living vicariously through your photos right now. For a minute, I can almost imagine we were there. Must...go....back...
    OX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this is heaven. I love that museum with all of my heart. I also have not been able to make it to NYC and I miss it horribly. How wonderful that you are sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smorgasborg!
    That is my favorite painting of JOAN... Butts in the seat...funny. If it's in the same room, the painting across from it, the two running in THE STORM, Pierre Cot (?)is my second favorite.
    You're looking intense, at what? -J xox

    ReplyDelete

Tidings and Salutations: