Saturday, April 25, 2009

Concrete Trampoline

When I read the papers these days about what to say to a friend who lost their job, or what to say and not say, I find it very foreign. - 'Don't use platitudes, stay neutral, etc... like people are going to go postal if you say "sorry" or "another opportunity will come" (which is the truth)

People in the arts seldom are afforded to "have" a job long enough to mourn it much when they "loose" it.  And if the futurists are correct, the old days of staying in one place or at one gig for life is like much of the old ways - quant and antiquated.

A career in the arts is often like a concrete trampoline - 
 buoyant on the rise and hard as hell on the decent. 

But arts are only a reflection of life, so maybe we lifer's just acknowledge and get to know the cycle a bit more, or that crazy overdose of optimism in our brains just moves us on to the next shiny thing as quickly as possible. I have also learned that strapping several pillow to your body when you are flying high is a good idea.

More than once people have said I am like the little boy digging through a pile of horse manure - when ask what he is doing, he exclaims " There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"

Somewhere along the way, I heard Joseph Campbell say that if you really look at your life, you will see that the greatest moments are usually preceded by the worst moments. I have found this to be true, so true. So when your hurt and splatted on the concrete, remember, something really shiny is coming....




2 comments:

  1. Hah! You and I have that in common, my friend. Someone pumped me full of optimism like helium at birth, and I still haven't run out. It just keeps me buoyant. I sometimes feel like I must annoy the crap outta people, but honestly, I don't care. I love my optimism.
    I like your pony analogy (notice how I picked out the pony, and not the manure in that scenario?)

    Oh, and having grown up in artists' colonies during nearly the entireity of my formative years, I hear you - no one in those communities had any inkling of a concept like "job security". Everyone just assumed they were going to be broke their whole lives, and lived accordingly. That way, one doesn't ever have far to fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rare now a days is the artist who is working at his craft. It is a joy to see it. This is a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete

Tidings and Salutations: